Advice from a Veteran Freshman
We asked actual students (after their first semester) what advice they would give to a new freshman. Here are some of their answers:
Dear New Freshman,
- Come in with an open mind - things may not be as you expect
- Meet with your Peer Mentor! If you don't, you'll run the risk of missing out on a lot of resouces that BYU has to offer
- Boys, don’t be afraid to ask the girls on dates! You don’t have to get serious, but we still like to spend time with you!
- Block out time to do homework/study
- Use your Arts Card!
- Learn how to prioritize
- Try lots of different new things
- Go to ward activities! It is how you make friends
- Don’t overly stress when things don’t go perfectly
- Get a ROC pass; the sports are bomb!
- You won’t be perfect
- SMILE at people on campus: it could make their day!
- Don’t forget to balance your eating and sleeping schedule
- Ditching class is the absolute best… way to FAIL class and college!
- Find a reason to go to class, even if you think it’s boring
- If the weather looks really bad… wait 20 minutes. It’ll change
- Start studying early on in the semester
- Get to know your TAs - they are students just like you and their job is to help you!
- Try studying or working somewhere in the library - there’s plenty of space there and you will be less distracted by food and roommates!
- Don’t freak out and think college is too hard for you - it’s not that scary