Skip to main content

Housing & Transportation

Move-in dates can be found on the housing website, along with information about what to bring for your new apartment. Once you have found housing, your ward leaders will contact you.

On-Campus Housing

1705-44 047.JPG
BYU recommends all freshmen live in on-campus housing, including those who are 19 and older. Below are some options:

  • Helaman Halls is traditional board and room style living, and requires the purchase of a meal plan.
  • Heritage Halls is apartment-style, including a kitchen, so the purchase of a meal plan is optional.
  • Wyview Park is apartment-style living for returning residents and those who turned 19 prior to January 1.
On-Campus Housing will send students an informational email regarding housing a few weeks after they receive their letter of acceptance.

More about On-Campus Housing

Off-Campus Housing

1806-41 19.jpg
There are also many off-campus housing options. The Off-Campus Housing Guide is renewed every year, and is very helpful - find it on the Off-Campus Housing website! All BYU single undergraduate students are required to live in university contracted housing unless they complete a waiver and receive approval from the Off-Campus Housing Office. Be sure to update your residential address under your Personal Information page, or you may be charged a fee.

More about Off-Campus Housing

Register Your Car

1704-51 2017 Spring Commencement 8001 (cropped).JPG
To park on campus, you must register your vehicle. There are a few free parking lots available to students, or you can pay $60/semester for “Y” parking (typically located closer to campus). On-Campus residents don’t need to pay the fees, but do need to register their vehicle!

Register Your Car

Shuttle to Campus

1908-04 199.JPG
The Ryde is a BYU contracted bus that picks up students from BYU housing locations and drops them off at the heart of BYU campus. The Ryde runs twice an hour from various locations, and is free for all students.

Routes & Schedule

Bike License

1909-01 0273.JPG
Any bike that is ridden or parked on campus should be registered with a bike license. BYU accepts any Utah County city bike license. BYU also has a Bike Share program where students living in on-campus housing can rent a bike for $45/semester (F/W) or $25/term (Spr/Su).

Click here for more information about biking on-campus.

Get your license

Walk to Campus

1909-01 0247.jpg
You can walk from one end of BYU to the other in about 20 minutes. BYU tries to be self-contained, providing grocery stores, restaurants, and even dry cleaning on campus. Within minutes, you can walk anywhere you need to be! If you are walking in the dark, consider using The Safewalk Program. Through this program, you can have a friendly BYU police officer escort you home or track your route to make sure you reach your destination safely.

Safewalk app:

Bus & Frontrunner

1908-04 111.JPG
Your BYU ID card doubles as a UTA pass! This gives you free access to the UTA bus system, TRAX, and the FrontRunner. This is especially convenient if you have classes in Salt Lake, an internship, work, or want to visit friends and family in Utah.

UTA Schedules & Maps

SLC Airport to BYU Campus - How To Video

1908-04 061.JPG
BYU Enrollment Services has provided a detailed video on how to use the Frontrunner and bus system to get to BYU from SLC Airport.

Watch the Video Here